Many of my clients have questions about clothing options for their family photo session. It can be a bit overwhelming to coordinate your family's outfits for pictures. Here is my advice:
1) The family should "go" together without matching perfectly. It looks more natural if everyone isn't wearing the exact same outfit.
2) Make sure the style is consistent (modern, casual, dressed up)
2) Pick a base color and maybe one or two accent colors (see below for ideas).
3) Choose one person's outfit first (like mom or baby) and build from there.
4) Stay away from white
5) Layers, textures and patterns look great!
I created the following guides to provide examples of what I mean by "coordinating without matching". Most of the items are currently available at Gap and Old Navy. I had way too much fun with this! It was like playing dress-up with imaginary families!