I had a huge project on my hands last week called Cleaning and Organizing My Office. Whoa, it was a massive undertaking and I realized that what I really needed was more storage. But I really hate spending money on storage items. I just feel like I shouldn't have to spend a fortune to be organized. And coincidentally, I had been saving all those cardboard boxes that come from my photo lab. So I created some recycled cardboard storage!
Like this one. I call it Recycled Cardboard Box Hanging Shelves:
Here's what I did, in case you have 4 boxes that are the exact same size.
1. Cut off the flaps.
2. Cut out a window in the front so you can better see into them.
3. Then take your first box (it will be the bottom box). With an exacto knife cut an "x" in each corner of the bottom. Then I used a pencil to make a very small hole where I cut. It just needs to be big enough to thread twine through.
4. Cut 4 pieces of twine that will be long enough for the whole shelving unit. Now thread them through each corner hole. Tie knots underneath to hold.
5. Take your next box and repeat step 3.
6. Now, measure 10 inches up the twine that is coming from the bottom box and make a mark with a sharpie. Do this on all 4 pieces of twine. Tie knots right at those marks. Then you can slide the next box on.
7. Repeat steps 5-6 with two more boxes.
8. Tie the shelves onto a wire shelf. Or if you don't have one, you could tie them onto two hangers on a rod.
I filled them with small odds and ends that never seemed to have a place in my office such as my marketing materials (extra business cards, brochures), paper clips, binder clips, whole punch, battery chargers, etc.
This next one wasn't as well planned out and I won't bore you with the details of how I created it. It was more of a "make it up as you go" project. I needed a place to put all of my ribbon. It was always rolling around loose in 4 different places. So I made this contraption called Recycled Cardboard Ribbon Organizer:
It's amazing how much more motivated I feel to work when my office is clean and organized!